Login System

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM

After spending the time stressing about a Console Based Login System. I finally figured out an efficient method that didn't bug out. So far, it isn't 100% complete, but it still need's a few line's to save the User and Pass input's to the OS. Preferably one's that aren't readable by the upcoming File Read/Write System. If you would like to help out on the Login System and make it more efficient, Please feel free to leave a message letting me know what thing's you have changed or what you intend to change.

Telling me what you have changed help's us keep up to date on who has updated what. This also allows us to incorporate the changed code into the Primary Code (Hosted by TJ)

Also, Feel free to let us know what new thing's you would like to add by starting a new Discussion!

Thanks

-YuMadHD a.k.a Mason

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:31 PM
yumadhd wrote:

After spending the time stressing about a Console Based Login System. I finally figured out an efficient method that didn't bug out. So far, it isn't 100% complete, but it still need's a few line's to save the User and Pass input's to the OS. Preferably one's that aren't readable by the upcoming File Read/Write System. If you would like to help out on the Login System and make it more efficient, Please feel free to leave a message letting me know what thing's you have changed or what you intend to change.

Telling me what you have changed help's us keep up to date on who has updated what. This also allows us to incorporate the changed code into the Primary Code (Hosted by TJ)

Also, Feel free to let us know what new thing's you would like to add by starting a new Discussion!

Thanks

-YuMadHD a.k.a Mason

Probably the best thing to do is write some sort of hash algorithm, that way it can not be cracked ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_function ). You could write your own or implement something similar to MD5. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM
GruntXProductions wrote:
yumadhd wrote:

Thanks

-YuMadHD a.k.a Mason

Probably the best thing to do is write some sort of hash algorithm, that way it can not be cracked ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_function ). You could write your own or implement something similar to MD5. 

I am actually updating to the most current Version of Cosmos. Hopefully then I can implement a basic, encrypted file specifically for storing the User and Password's. Thank you for the information on that tho, really saved me on that. The logon system will hopefully be 100% functional with the next OS Update. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Storing passwords only using MD5 is not really safe. You should use at least a salted hash.

Means:
1. Generate a random number (salt)
2. Append salt to pwd
3. Compute Hash
4. Store Hash and Salt

Also the Hash algorithm should not be too fast. A Fast Hash algo allows fast attacks. It should at least take 1ms to calc the Hash. By this MD5 is not really to recommend.

I recently read about this, and there they recommended two Hash algos, but currently can't remember which ones they was.

Reinhard.